Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 50-57 minutes
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. In a food processor, combine 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt and pulse a few times. Add 1 stick cold butter and pulse again to break up mixture into lima-bean-size pieces. With the motor running, add vanilla and water and process until dough begins to gather together, adding additional water as needed.
2. Remove dough from the food processor, form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Flour your work surface and roll dough to slightly larger than a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; transfer to pan and press it into the bottom and up sides of the pan. Trim the top evenly and prick bottom dough with a fork; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; add apples and coat well.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, add remaining unsalted butter. Cook butter for 5 to 7 minutes or until brown and develops a toasty, nutty aroma; butter will foam, then settle down.
7. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, apple pie spice, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons salted butter until crumbly. Pour browned butter over apples and add lemon juice; toss to coat apples. 8. Pour apple mixture into prepared tart pan and evenly top with walnut mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until crumb topping is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, Visit fightbac.org
Nutrition FactsNutrition Information Per Serving: Calories: 438 (Calories from Fat: 243)
Total Fat: 27g (Saturated Fat: 16g)
Total Carbohydrates: 48g (Dietary Fiber: 3g