Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: Bake 45 Minutes, Chill 2 Hours
August 2022 Dig In Recipe
Buttery-flaky crust, filled with hearty-sweet apples, nuts and spices.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. In a food processor, combine 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt; pulse a few times. Wash hands after handling raw flour. Add 1 stick cold butter and pulse to break up mixture into lima-bean-size pieces.
4. With motor running, add vanilla and water and process until dough begins to gather, adding additional water as needed.
5. Remove dough from food processor, form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Dust work surface with flour and roll dough to slightly larger than a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; transfer to pan and press into bottom and up sides of pan. Trim top evenly and prick bottom dough with fork; set aside. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
8. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; add apples and coat well. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
9. In a large skillet over medium heat, add remaining unsalted butter. Cook butter for 6 minutes or until brown and develops a toasty, nutty aroma. Note: Butter will foam, then settle down. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
10. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, apple pie spice, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons salted butter until crumbly. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
11. Pour browned butter over apples and add lemon juice; toss to coat apples. Pour apple mixture into prepared tart pan and top evenly with walnut mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until crumb topping is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat: 27g
Saturated Fat: 16g
Total Carbohydrates: 48g
Dietary Fiber: 3g