Alpine Cheddar and Kale Stovetop Mac & Cheese
Recipe featured on 10/20/16 Western Mass News Segment with Carrie Taylor, RDN, LDN and Andrea Luttrell, RDN, LDN.
Recipe and image courtesy of the 1100 farm families who own Cabot®. Visit their website for more delicious recipes.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Cook rotini according to package instructions. Drain well.
4. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, until slightly softened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Make a roux by sprinkling flour over the shallot and stir to dissolve flour into the butter. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
6. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until all the flour is incorporated into the milk.
7. Scrape along the edges of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula to make sure no roux remains in the corners.
8. Whisk in mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, increase heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Remove sauce from heat. Stir in cheddar and whisk until completely melted into the sauce.
10. Combine cooked pasta, sauce and kale in a large bowl and serve immediately.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!