All-Natural Egg Dyes
Use the following ingredients for desired colors: • Dark Pink – Beets • Bright Golden Yellow - Turmeric • Blue – Red Cabbage • Light Yellow – Lemon Peel • Lavender – Blackberries • Beige/Brown – Espresso • Orange/Brown - Yellow Onion Skins You can even mix the dyes to make other colors: Lemon peel & red cabbage will make a soft green, turmeric & beets will make a soft pink, turmeric & red cabbage will make a soft blue, and so on.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a large pot, add 2 cups of desired fruit or vegetable, or 2 tablespoons of desired powdered spice, to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove mixture from heat, strain through a fine sieve and stir in 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar.
4. Set aside and let cool until room temperature.
5. To dye eggs, submerge them in the colored liquid and let sit for a minimum of 2 hours.*
6. For more vibrant, darker colors, cover egg in the dye, refrigerator and let eggs soak overnight.
*Eggs sitting out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours are not safe to eat.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!