If your little one loves chicken nuggets, offer up this special treat by making them from scratch versus opting for frozen varieties or take-out. You’ll control the quality of chicken in their meal while cutting saturated fat and sodium. Plus, using yogurt for coating adds calcium to this dish, which is a key nutrient for growing bodies.
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Cut chicken into “nugget”-size cubes. Place in a medium bowl and add enough yogurt to thickly coat chicken, combining well. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place cereal in a plastic bag and crush with rolling pin or heavy pan. Place in a shallow bowl and combine with cumin, red pepper, salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
4. With tongs, remove chicken pieces from yogurt and dredge in cereal until well coated; place on baking sheet.
5. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit with an instant-read thermometer.
6. Serve with honey or favorite dipping sauce.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition FactsRecipe and image courtesy of Cabot®
Creamery. Visit their website for more delicious recipes.