Grilled Garlic Tarragon Artichokes
Enjoy their beneficial nutrients like folate, potassium, magnesium and fiber with this simple, yet delectable, recipe. To cook enough for the family, simply adjust recipe ingredients for more than 1 artichoke at a time.
Add Item To
Add Item To
Add All Ingredients
1 fresh artichoke
-- Big Y extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
-- tarragon, dried or chopped fresh
-- Full Circle Market Mediterranean sea salt
-- Full Circle Market black pepper, freshly ground
3-4 lemon wedges
-- Pecorino Romano, shredded or grated
1. Wash hands with soap and running water.
2. Rinse fresh produce under running water prior to prepping.
3. Prep artichoke for steaming by removing 1-2 inches of stem with a knife and peeling remaining stem with vegetable peeler. Snip sharp leaf tips with cooking shears; trim ¼-½ inch off crown top and slice artichoke in half. Remove furry choke center with a spoon and rub leaf tips and faces with 1-2 lemon wedges.
4. Steam artichoke in an already prepared stove-top steamer basket, for 20-30 minutes, depending on size.
5. Meanwhile, mix together olive oil, garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper to taste (and in large enough quantity to eventually toss with artichoke). Set aside so flavors marry.
6. Remove artichoke from steamer and run under cold water to end cooking process. Toss well in oil & herb mixture. Place face down on pre-heated grill rack and cook for 10-15 minutes.
7. Finish by brushing faces with remaining oil & herb mixture, if desired, a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of fresh Pecorino Romano.
8. To eat, pull individual petals off from stem one at a time. Pull base of petals through teeth to strip off meat. Enjoy petals one by one. Once arriving to heart and stem, remove meat in the same manner as the individual petals.