Scholarship Program FAQ
Scholarship Application Timeline
- The online application is available from Nov 1st – Feb 1st.
- Notifications are emailed in early April. (Note: You may need to check your SPAM folder)
- Scholarship recipient names are posted on bigy.com in early May.
Who Is Eligible
Big Y Scholarships are open to graduating high school seniors, undergrad and graduate students. Employees, their dependents, customers and their dependents are encouraged to apply.
To be eligible, a student’s permanent residence, or school, must be located in Massachusetts or Connecticut. (All employees are eligible regardless of residence).
*Prior Big Y scholarship award recipients are not eligible to reapply.
How to Apply
- Please visit our scholarship page on our official website at www.bigy.com (between Nov 1- Feb 1) and click the application link and to review the most up to date information.]
- Paper applications no longer accepted.
- After February 1st, any incomplete or late submissions will not be considered.
Please Note: You may find prior year paper applications on the internet and on 3rd party sites. These are not valid and will not be accepted
- Academic Transcripts do not need to be official (digital copies – photos, PDFs, scans – are acceptable).
- Two Letters of Recommendations are required. Only one must be from a teacher, or a college professor. High school Seniors and College Freshman can submit copies of letters written for college entrance.
- Recommendations letters can be uploaded by a 3rd party (Example: school personnel). Please follow instructions on the online application system to request letters from your teacher, college/university professor, etc.
- If you did not take any College Board exams (such as SAT or ACT), or it has has been more than 3 years since you took them, you can complete online application without them.
- Personal resume/fact sheet detailing activities, achievements, awards, community involvement, leadership positions and class rank (if applicable).
High School, College, University Representatives:
- Annually, Scholarship packets (poster and letter) are mailed to schools within Massachusetts and Connecticut in early Fall.
Please note: Please email, firstname.lastname@example.org to request your school be put on our mailing list or removed from the mailing list.
- If you receive an email request from a student, you will be provided a link to upload the recommendation letter. The student will not see the letter. It can only be viewed by the scholarship committee.
- Academic Transcripts: We will accept unofficial transcripts.