How can I get an application?
You may pick up an application at any Big Y location from early November through January each year. Applications will also be available at guidance offices of schools within Big Y's market area, or download here
Scholarship recipients will be notified by mail and their names posted on the Big Y web site in early May.
What else is required?
The following information is also required:
- Transcript of grades. (photocopy acceptable - need not be official)
- College Entrance Exams Scores. (photocopy acceptable - need not be official)
- At least two letters of recommendation, including at least one from a teacher.
- Personal resumé/fact sheet Activities (for example: music, sports or organizations) Achievements Awards Community Involvement Leadership Positions Class Rank
- Mail application and supporting documentation together in one 9" x 12" envelope, no paperclips or staples to:
Big Y Foods Inc.
P.O. Box 7840
Springfield, Ma 01102-7840
When is the Deadline?
Information on the application must be complete and all supporting documents postmarked by February 1 to be eligible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Scholarship applications will be available in November at all Big Y locations, including Fresh Acres and Table & Vine. Applications can also be picked up at guidance offices of schools within Big Y's market area at that time or printed out from Bigy.com.
Who is eligible?
Big Y® Scholarships are available to High School Seniors, Undergraduates, Graduates, Community College and Non-Traditional Students. All Big Y customers and their dependents in the Big Y Market Area and Big Y employees and their dependents, regardless of residence, are eligible.
In recognition of the efforts that area law enforcement officers and firefighters make in protecting Big Y customers and its employees, a unique series of scholarships are available specifically to these public servants, as well as their dependents.
There is also a special category acknowledging the tremendous sacrifices made by all Military Service members and their families.
To be eligible, a student's permanent residence or school must be located within Western and Central Massachusetts, Norfolk County, Massachusetts or the state of Connecticut (All employees are eligible regardless of residence).
Previous scholarship award recipients are not eligible to re-apply.