Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England, Proud to be family owned and operated, they currently operate over 60 locations throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 10,000 employees. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- 2015-07-30Big Y to Host Collection of Socks for Mercy's Healthcare for the Homeless Packages of new socks for Mercy's Healthcare for the Homeless program will be collected at Big Y Pharmacy locations to benefit Mercy Medical Center's Healthcare for the Homeless program.
- 2015-07-27Interactive Tobacco Prevention Training Available for Connecticut Retailers An interactive merchant training, "Tobacco Sales: Do the Right Thing," focused on the prevention of tobacco sales to minors, is helping retailers across Connecticut learn more about the legal responsibilities and liabilities of selling tobacco in Connecticut.
- 2015-07-22Big Y signs on as lead sponsor of Wild Mushroom Festival Big Y World Class Market is the lead sponsor of the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center's 14th annual Wild Mushroom Festival, to be held 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27 at the Center, 109 Pequotsepos Road, Mystic.
- 2015-07-21Carando Partners with Big Y to Support Partners of Hope Program Carando®, the artisans of Classic Italian Meats, with help from NASCAR and Richard Petty Motorsports driver Aric Almirola, Carando made a $2,500 donation to Partners of Hope, a program established by Big Y to support fundraising for Breast Cancer Awareness.
- 2015-07-166th Big Y Produce Manager Wins National Award United Fresh Foundation's Center for Leadership Excellence has chosen Big Y World Class Market Branford, CT produce and floral sales manager, Ron Tarini, as one of 5 top grand prize winners for their 2015 awards.
- 2015-07-09OVER 18,000 WORN AMERICAN FLAGS PROPERLY RETIRED For the fourth year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y collected worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper retirement from May 21 to June 10.
- 2015-07-09Big Y Debuts Shopping Carts for Special Needs Children Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce that they have installed Caroline's Carts in 44 of their supermarkets as of July 1. Caroline's Cart is a shopping cart for special needs older children and some adults.
- 2015-06-1950,000+ Pounds of Pet Food and Supplies Donated to Local Shelters Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce that the company's first ever "May is Pet Month" initiative has resulted in donations of more than 50,000 pounds of pet food and supplies
- 2015-06-18Local Ice Creams Hot At Big Y BBig Y World Class Markets now sells locally produced ice creams in each of their 61 markets as the chain continues to search and promote as many local products as possible.
- 2015-06-17Big Y Accepts Apple Pay Big Y Foods, Inc. is the latest retailer in New England to accept Apple Pay contactless payments at all of its registers.
- 2015-06-03Big Y Donates $45,000 to the American Red Cross Nepal Earthquake Disaster Relief Big Y World Class Markets collected donations from customers and employees from April 30th - May 17th for American Red Cross Disaster Relief in response to the Nepal Earthquake.