Satisfy your sweet tooth this February for Heart Month with heart-healthy treats like the one below from Super Healthy Kids! Featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter issue #75 (January 11th to March 21st, 2018).
Recipe and image from Super Healthy Kids.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cupcake liners in muffin tins.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
5. In a separate large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in beets and all but about 3/4 cup strawberries. Note: Smashing strawberries while mixing helps to release juices into the batter.
7. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Wash hands after handling raw eggs and flour.
8. Spoon mixture into muffin tins, filling each cup 3/4 full. Top with reserved strawberries.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
10. Let cool in tins for 5 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack completely before eating.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts Per Muffin:
Total Fat < 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 275 mg
Carbohydrates 19 g
Sugar 5 g
Protein 3 g