Tomato, Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. In a large stockpot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add bell pepper and mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Add marinara sauce, broth, water, Cajun seasoning, herbs and salt and pepper to taste; increase heat and bring to a boil.
5. Add rice, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Add more water if necessary.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, add remaining oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit as verified by an instant-read food thermometer, about 6 to 7 minutes. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
7. Add chicken to soup, mix well and serve.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 201 (Calories from Fat: 45)
Total Fat: 5g (Saturated Fat: 1g)
Total Carbohydrates: 21g (Dietary Fiber: 3g