Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Recipe provided by The Humane Society of the United States, Forward Food Program. For more information, visit their website.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. Drain jackfruit in a colander. If in brine, rinse lightly to remove some of the salt. Remove any seeds and set aside. Pat the jackfruit dry with paper towels.
4. Heat an oven-proof skillet on medium heat and add oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the jackfruit. Use a wooden spoon to pull or shred the jackfruit into strands.
6. Add the BBQ sauce and lower the heat to allow the mixture to simmer slowly until well combined. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
7. Toss red and green cabbage and carrots with lime juice, season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve jackfruit in a taco, on a bun or in a lettuce wrap with fresh veggies (if desired), cabbage slaw and fresh cilantro (if desired), as well as salsa, barbecue or hoisin sauces as desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat: 7.4 g
Protein: 5 g
Total Carbohydrates: 46 g
Sodium: 435 mg