Prep Time: 20
Cooking Time: Cook 19 Minutes
November/December 2018 Dig In the Big Y Magazine
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Heat an extra-large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté for 5 minutes or until bacon begins to brown and desired crispness is reached.
4. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings. Return pan with bacon drippings to medium heat and add shallots and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes or until softened and fragrant. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and add to bacon.
5. Return pan to medium-high heat and add Brussels sprouts, cut-side down, and cook for 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and add bacon mixture, broth and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 2 minutes or until broth mostly evaporates and sprouts are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove pan and keep warm.
7. Return pan to low heat and drop Parmesan, by rounded tablespoonsful, into pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until just melted; remove from pan from heat and let melted cheese sit for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with Brussels sprouts.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 123 (Calories from Fat: 36)
Total Fat: 4g (Saturated Fat: 2g)
Total Carbohydrates: 16g (Dietary Fiber: 6g