Oyster and Clam Chowder
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, add bacon; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
2. Return pot with bacon drippings to stove, place over medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add leeks, garlic, celery and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and brown slightly.
3. Add wine, increase heat to medium-high and cook, scraping up any browned bits, for 2 minutes or until the wine is evaporated.
4. Add clam juice, 1 cup water and potatoes; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5. In a small bowl, combine remaining water with flour and whisk until smooth; add to soup.
6. Increase to medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until soup slightly thickens; reduce heat to medium.
7. Stir in cream, hot sauce, bay leaves, bacon and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add oysters, clams and whitefish and cook for 5 minutes or until edges of clams and oysters start to curl and are firm and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork; remove bay leaves.
9. Serve garnished with parsley.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition FactsNutrition Information Per Serving: Calories: 350 (Calories from Fat: 117)
Total Fat: 13g (Saturated Fat: 5g)
Total Carbohydrates: 39g (Dietary Fiber: 3g