Easy Crusty Bread
Directions1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a large mixing bowl or your Kitchen Aid mixer add the flour, salt and yeast. Use a spatula or the paddle attachment and mix to combine.
3. Pour in the warm water and keep mixing until everything is incorporated and a soft dough has formed. It will still stick to the bottom of the bowl and that is fine.
4. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with a pizza stone inside for about 45 minutes before baking the bread. Fill an oven proof bowl with 2 inches of water and place it on the bottom rack. This will create the steam that makes the bread crispy.
6. Sprinkle some flour on your counter and put the bread on it. Flour your hands to help it out of the bowl as it might be sticky.
7. With floured hands, fold the dough onto itself forming it into a ball. Do not knead it or handle it anymore than you need to. Use a sharp knife and lightly carve an X on the top of the loaf.
8. Place the bread dough on top of a lightly floured pizza peel or cardboard and place it on top of the hot pizza stone.
9. Bake the bread for about 45 minutes until golden brown all over and cooked through.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!