Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cooking Time: Cook 2-3 Minutes
May 2023 Dig In Recipe
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, brown sugar, salt and 1/3 cup butter. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in flour and mix until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until well blended and all the egg mixture is completely mixed in. Note: Stirring into the flour will take some time. Wash hands after handling eggs.
- Preheat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a large pastry bag with dough and attach a tip size 4B.
- Test your oil with a small amount of dough. The dough should bubble up immediately. Once oil is hot enough, squeeze about 4 inches of dough into oil. Add as many 4-inch-long churros as will fit comfortably without overcrowding.
- Cook, until golden brown, turning once or twice, about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease. Let cool slightly.
- While still warm, sprinkle each churro with sugar and cinnamon until heavily coated.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt remaining butter and chocolate bar. Add cayenne, chili powder and remaining sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Slowly add in cream and pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Serve sauce immediately with the churros.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 210, Total Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Sodium: 85mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 2g