Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: Marinate 1 Hour, Cook 12 Minutes
Feb/March 2018 Magazine
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. To prepare chicken, in a shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add chicken breasts and refrigerate for 1 hour. Wash hands after handling raw eggs and chicken.
3. In another shallow dish, combine panko crumbs, flour and seasonings; season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, add 1 inch of oil; heat oil to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and coat in panko mixture. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
6. Carefully place 2 to 3 pieces chicken in hot oil and fry, turning with tongs every 1 to 2 minutes and adjusting heat to maintain a steady temperature of 300 to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook chicken until skin is deep golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer, about 12 minutes.
7. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate and let drain. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
8. To prepare cheddar scallion waffles, heat a waffle iron to medium heat.
9. In a large bowl, whisk together baking mix, milk, vegetable oil and egg; fold in cheese and scallions.
10. Fill waffle iron with batter, close lid and cook according to manufacturer’s directions.
12. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, butter and hot sauce.
13. Serve chicken on waffles topped with spicy syrup.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 574 (Calories from Fat: 180)
Total Fat: 20g (Saturated Fat: 8g)
Total Carbohydrates: 68g (Dietary Fiber: 2g