Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
Recipe provided by Plugra. For more Plugra inspiration, go to: www.Plugra.com
Directions1. Wash hands with soap and water. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Cover 1 or 2 rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil and no-stick spray.
2. Heat the oil and a few kernels of popcorn in a large pot over medium heat. When the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels and cover. Shake the pan throughout the popping to prevent burning. When popping slows (even after shaking), remove from heat. Place popcorn in a separate bowl and set aside.
3. Prepare the caramel in a large enough pot that it can be used to stir in the popped kernels. If you don’t have a large enough pot, see the tip at the end of the recipe.
4. Place the butter, sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt in the heavy bottom pan. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly while the mixture boils for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add the baking soda and mix until fully combined. It will bubble up a little so be careful. Add the popcorn to the pan and stir until every piece of popcorn is covered in the caramel mixture.
6. Spread the caramel corn onto baking sheets in a single layer.
7. Bake for 30 minutes then take out the caramel corn and stir it. Bake for an additional 30 minutes to allow the caramel to form a crisper coating.
8. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!