Cooking Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Fill a large pot full of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Remove the 12 largest outer cabbage leaves and add to the pot; boil for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water until room temperature.
5. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add onion and 4 garlic cloves and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until softened; let cool for 10 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, turkey, dill, caraway seeds, rice, and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
8. Lay one cabbage leaf on a work surface; cut out the thick stem, leaving the cabbage leaf intact. Place about 1/3 cup turkey mixture in the leaf’s center.
9. Fold the sides over the filling, then roll closed. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling. Wash hands after handling raw turkey.
10. In a medium bowl, combine red pepper flakes, diced tomatoes, sugar, remaining garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Pour evenly over the rolls, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking for 20 minutes, basting the rolls with sauce several times.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 330 (Calories from Fat: 35)
Total Fat: 3.5g (Saturated Fat: 0g)
Total Carbohydrates: 33g (Dietary Fiber: 9g