Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
Add Item To
Add Item To
Add All Ingredients
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (NuVal Score- 94)
2 to 2 1/2 Tbsp heart-healthy buttery spread
1/2 onion, chopped (NuVal Score- 93)
ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (NuVal Score- 99)
2. Steam sprouts in a microwave safe dish in the microwave for 3 minutes or until tender. They should be almost cooked all the way through but not completely.
3. Strain sprouts and blanch by placing in a bowl of ice water to keep their color bright green.
4. Cut sprouts into halves.
5. Heat buttery spread in a large saut pan on medium heat.
6. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
7. Add Brussels sprouts.
8. Increase heat to medium high and cook for several more minutes.
9. Add pepper to taste, while Brussels sprouts are cooking.
10. Remove pan from the heat and stir in lemon juice.
Original recipe from Elise Bauer at Simply Recipes.
Slight adjustments were made to recipe by the Living Well Eating Smart Wellness Team (ie: replacing butter with buttery spread, reducing the amount of buttery spread used, removal of salt and almond slivers).
To watch the video of this recipe, visit our YouTube page!
NOTE: NuVal® Scores subject to change and current as of publish date of recipe.