Churros with Chocolate Sauce
Add Item To
Add Item To
Add All Ingredients
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Big Y sugar, divided
1 teaspoon Big Y ground cinnamon
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Big Y light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Big Y salt
2/3 cup Big Y salted butter, divided
1 cup Big Y all-purpose flour
2 big Y Large White Eggs
1 teaspoon Big Y pure vanilla extract
-Big Y vegetable oil, for frying
1 (4-ounce) bar dark chocolate
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup Big Y heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon Big Y chili powder
-pinch Big Y salt
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a shallow dish, combine ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, brown sugar, salt and ? cup butter; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in flour and mix until well blended.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla; add to the flour mixture and stir until well blended and all the egg mixture is completely mixed in. Note: Stirring into the flour will take some time. Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs.
5. Preheat 2-inches vegetable oil in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Fill a large pastry bag with dough and attach a tip size 4B.
7. Test your oil with a small amount of dough. The dough should bubble up immediately. Once oil is hot enough, squeeze about 4-inches of dough into oil. Add as many 4-inch-long churros as will fit comfortably without overcrowding.
8. Cook for 1-2 minutes and turn over with a slotted spoon and cook for another minute or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease; let cool slightly.
9. While still warm, sprinkle each churro with the sugar and cinnamon until heavily coated.
10. In the top of a double boiler, melt remaining butter and chocolate bar. Add cayenne, chili powder and remaining sugar; stir until smooth. Slowly add in cream and pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Serve sauce immediately with the churros.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories: 210, Total Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Sodium: 85mg, Total Carbohydrates: 17g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 2g
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit https://www.fightbac.org/