March is National Nutrition Month®
Step outside your comfort zone and embrace a variety of foods, flavors and traditions from across the globe by cooking up delicious meals and snacks from home that also meet your nutrition needs.
Happy National Nutrition Month® (NNM)! This March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is celebrating its annual event with a focus on the diversity of cultures, ingredients and flavors around the globe that help us meet our nutrition needs with the theme “Celebrate a World of Flavors.”
Learning about, preparing and eating food is meant to be fun. In the weeks ahead, get playful in the kitchen and enjoy creating delicious, nourishing meals that meet your likes, schedule and incorporate a variety of foods from your own family traditions as well as those from other cultures.
For this year’s NNM, the Academy developed tips for each week of March. Wherever you are in the process to healthier eating from the tips below, our Living Well Eating Smart registered dietitian team is here to help you meet your needs.
Be sure to check out our FREE weekly virtual nutrition workshops, cook-a-longs and one-on-one discovery sessions here.
Eat a Variety of Nutritious Foods
- Include healthful foods from all food groups.
- Learn how to read Nutrition Facts labels.
- Incorporate your favorite cultural foods and traditions.
See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN.
- Find and registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) who specializes in your unique needs.
- Receive personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals.
Plan Your Meals and Snacks
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week.
- Use a grocery list to shop for nutritious foods.
- Make healthful food and drink choices when away from home.
Create Tasty Foods at Home
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills.
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world.
- Enjoy your meals with friends or family, when possible.
Put It All Together
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods.
- See an RDN.
- Plan your meals and snacks.
- Create tasty foods at home.
Need a little inspiration and guidance for incorporating a variety of meal options from cultures around the world?
Check out this “Celebrate a World of Flavors” tip sheet from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for NNM 2020!