Big Y in the News
Big Y Foods, Inc. is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Big Y operates 84 locations throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut including 71 supermarkets, Fresh Acres Market, Table & Vine Fine Wines and Liquors and 10 Big Y Express gas and convenience locations with almost 12,000 employees. Big Y has been recognized by Forbes as a Best-in-State Employer in Massachusetts and Connecticut, as well as Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Big Y Turns Pink
SPRINGFIELD, MA [October 5, 2021] –
In order to continue to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets will be donating proceeds from various departments throughout the store to 32 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut. Since 2007, the chain has raised more than $2.5 million dollars for this cause. The program, “Partners of Hope” reflects the partnership, commitment and support of breast cancer awareness and research that is vital for so many.
During the entire month of October, Big Y will donate a portion of the proceeds from both the Floral and Produce purchases including Sunshine Bouquets, and Big Y Butcher Shops will donate ten cents from every pound of All Natural Angus Beef, and Smart Chicken sold during the entire month of October. Additionally, between October 21 and 27 Big Y will donate 5 cents for each of Big Y’s family of brands purchased including, Food Club, Big Y, Full Circle Market, Crav'n Flavor, Wide Awake, Culinary Tours, Sweet P's, World Classic Trading Company, Simply Done, Top Care, Tippy
Toes, Pure Harmony and Paws Happy Life. Big Y Pharmacy & Wellness Center will also donate $5 for every immunization given. Customers can also donate directly to Partner’s of Hope via bigy.com/community/breastcancerawareness or they can purchase a $1 ribbon at each register.
According to Big Y CEO, Charles D’Amour, "During these challenging and stressful times, it has never been more important to take care of one's health. Thousands of women and many men are impacted each year by breast cancer. With a renewed focus on health and wellness and the importance of breast cancer awareness and early detection, we hope that this initiative can not only help save lives but some day lead to better treatments and ultimately a cure."
The beneficiaries this year will include the following organizations:
- Amherst - Protect Our Breasts
- Boston - Mass General Hospital - Gillette Center for Breast Cancer
- Boston - Brigham & Women’s Hospital - Breast Oncology Program
- Boston - Susan F. Smith Center for Women’s Cancers
- Boston - Boston Medical Center - Belkin Breast Health Center
- Boston - American Cancer Society, Inc. - Northeast Region Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Ludlow - The Pink Way MA - HMC Breast Health Center
- Longmeadow - Survivor Journeys - Breast Cancer Program
- Northampton - Cancer Connection
- Northampton - Cooley Dickinson Hospital - Women’s Health Care
- Norwood - Ellie Fund
- Pittsfield - Berkshire Medical Center - Women’s Imaging Center
- South Weymouth - South Shore Health System Foundation
- Springfield - Baystate Health Foundation Rays of Hope
- Springfield - Mercy Medical Center - Mercy Breast Care Center
- Worcester - Saint Vincent Hospital - Breast Care Clinic
- Worcester - UMass Memorial Health Care - Comprehensive Breast Center
- Worcester - Family Health Center of Worcester - Lois B. Green Breast Health Center
- Derby - The Hewitt Center for Breast Wellness at Griffin Hospital
- Hartford - Hartford Hospital - Partnership for Breast Care
- Hartford - St. Francis Foundation - Comprehensive Breast Health Center
- Madison - Infinite Strength, Inc.
- Middletown - Middlesex Hospital Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
- New Britain - CT Breast Health Initiative
- New London - Terri Brodeur Breast Cancer Foundation
- New Haven - Yale-New Haven Hospital - Breast Cancer Program
- Norwich - Backus Hospital - Backus Cancer Center
- Stafford Springs - Johnson Memorial Hospital Breast Care Center
- Torrington - Charlotte Hungerford Hospital - Pink Roses Program
- Waterbury - St. Mary’s Hospital - Breast & Oncology Center
- Westbrook - Middlesex Hospital - Cancer Care Middlesex Health Shoreline Center
- Willimantic - Windham - Hospital Foundation Breast Cancer Program