Food Safety is a top priority at Big Y. Our food safety team insures that all food sold to our customers is the safest, freshest and of the highest quality. We are committed to providing clean stores and follow strict food safety handling procedures. Big Y's food safety policies are stricter than government standards and based on the latest sound science. We conduct extensive food safety training to management and employees.
Fresh Fruits, Vegetables and Juices
Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. Your local markets carry an amazing variety of fresh fruits and vegetables that are both nutritious and delicious. However, harmful bacteria that may be in the soil or water where produce grows may come in contact with fruits and vegetables and contaminate them. Fresh produce may also become contaminated after it is harvested, such as during preparation or storage.
- When selecting fresh-cut produce - such as a half a watermelon or bagged salad greens - choose items that are refrigerated or surrounded by ice.
- Bag fresh fruits and vegetables separately from meat, poultry and seafood products.
- Refrigerate all produce that is purchased pre-cut or peeled.
- Begin with clean hands. Wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before and after preparing fresh produce.
- Even if you plan to peel the produce before eating, it is still important to wash it first.